As well as teaching the fundamentals of business, the Aston MBA includes a personal and professional development programme based on the latest thinking in behavioural science to give you the “Aston Edge”.
The Aston Edge programme delivered alongside the core curriculum will develop your skills portfolio to help you become a better performer, achieve your goals and equip you to deal with the big challenges that lie ahead in your future at the forefront of business.
This approach is based on our extensive business and industry knowledge, experience and networks and also draws on the work of the Aston Behavioural Science Laboratory, a unique initiative amongst European business schools.
Our unique mix of workshops, team challenges, reflective learning, networking, speaker events and other activities are designed to give you the skills to:
- Be effective and proactive at managing your career
- Be an influential communicator and negotiator
- Manage conflict constructively
- Apply interpersonal skills to maximum effect
- Be effective interculturally
- Show interpersonal awareness
- Apply multi-disciplinary thinking
- Manage change productively
- Be competitive and innovative
- Solve complex problems
- Be personally adaptable
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and approach
- Display confidence in yourself and your contribution
- Lead with credibility
- Inspire confidence in others
- Effectively build and manage your networks.
Getting the Edge
The Aston Edge is designed in three phases to build your skills as you progress through your studies.Its flexible structure will enable you to choose which areas of development you wish to focus on.This way you can tailor the programme to suit your own needs and aspirations and create your own personal portfolio of your professional development.
The Aston Edge at a glance
A series of specialist workshops to prepare you to make the most of the MBA programme.
These sessions are designed to:
- Improve your interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Increase your inter-cultural awareness
- Grow your confidence
- Enhance your creativity and performance.
A programme of activities to help you grow your networks and build your professional relationships.
The event programme will include:
- Employer speed networking
- One-to-one mentoring
- Networking dinners
- Industry speaker events.
The opportunity to use the skills and leadership capability that you have developed in your MBA major project*.
Gain real life experience to enhance your CV by completing one of the following:
- Undertaking a live consultancy project for a client
- Writing a business plan for a start-up
- Conducting a themed research project.
- Complete a report on an in-company internship in the UK or abroad
- Study at one of our partner institutions and undertake a related extended project.
You may also complete an internship or study abroad in addition to your major project.
*Project type subject to availability
International business competitions
As part of your MBA you will have the opportunity to be part of a team representing Aston Business School at one of the numerous international business competitions that we enter. Last year's MBA cohort made it to the regional finals of the Hult Prize and came 3rd in the Warwick Business Case Challenge.
The Aston MBA challenged me to think about business in new and exciting ways. My interaction with professors, fellow students and guest speakers brought me broader perspectives and unparalleled insights into doing business globally.
Katerina Kireitseu, Belarus