Krishna Chaitanya Balthu
Operations and Information Management
Role: Teaching Fellow in Service Operations Management Phone: 01212043290 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Room Number: ABS 253
Krishna is a Teaching Fellow in Service Operations Management at Aston Business School. With a background in research and consultancy, his skills range from process modelling and business analysis to delivering strategic change programmes.
He joined Aston in autumn 2018 after successfully delivering a number of strategic projects for a leading law firm based in the West Midlands, UK and having worked there for nearly 7 years as a Change and Project Manager. Previously in the role of a Service Development Executive employed by Aston Business School, he delivered an award-winning KTP project which was funded by ERDF through Innovate UK.
Krishna's work was award-winning and recognised by some of the leading forums (ILTA, The Lawyer, Innovate UK, EFMD) in the field of innovation in legal services and knowledge transfer both within the UK and internationally.
- PhD (ongoing), Aston Business School, UK. Thesis Title: ‘A systems approach to transform professional service operations’.
- 2013, Executive Education, Harvard Business School. Programme: ‘Managing & Transforming Professional Service Firms – India’.
- 2011 – 2012, Level 5 Certificate in Management & Leadership, Chartered Management Institute (CMI), UK.
- 2012, Prince 2 Practitioner, APMG, UK.
- 2009 – 2010, MBA, Cardiff School of Management, University of Wales, UK.
- 2003 – 2007, Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, India.
- 2018 to date, Teaching Fellow in Operations Management, Aston Business School.
- 2013 – 2018, Organisational Change & Project Manager, Higgs & Sons Solicitors
- 2011 – 2013, Service Development Executive (KTP Associate), Aston Business School in collaboration with Higgs & Sons, Funded by ERDF through Innovate, UK.
- 2010 – 2011, Business Analyst, Birmingham City University.
- 2009 – 2010, Research Assistant, Cardiff University, Funded by EPSRC through AuRA-NMS project.
- 2007 – 2009, Software Engineer, Infosys Technologies Ltd., India
BN1157 – Principles of Operations Management
BN2218 – Managing Service Operations
BN301D/BN3370 – Effective Management Consultancy
BB0BMG – Business Model Generation
- BN2236 – Virtual Business Simulation
- Process Design and Improvement
- Change Management
- Professional Service Operations Management
- Application of Systems Thinking and Soft Systems Methodology
- Indian Academy of Management - Member (Administrator)
- British Academy of Management, UK - Member
- Chartered Management Institute, UK - Member (Associate)
Clegg B.T., Balthu, K., Morris, G. ‘Changing professional service archetypes in a law firm using Process Orientated Holonic (PrOH) modelling’. Knowledge Management Research and Practice. DOI: 10.1080/14778238.2019.1571387
Industry related journals
- Balthu. K, Clegg, B.T, Morris, G., ‘The Laws of Lean’. Lean Management Journal. Issue: May 2013.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, B.T, Morris, G., ‘Times are Ever-Changing, Even for Lawyers’. Developing Leaders Quarterly, an IEDP Journal. Issue 19:2015.
- Balthu. K, Morris, G., ‘Method without madness’ in Briefing, published by Legal Support Network. Issue: October 2014.
- Balthu. K, ‘Big game theory, Book review on Smarter Pricing, Smarter Profit. In: Legal Practice Management, Issue: September 2014.
- Balthu, K & Owen, CD 2019, 'Understanding the Barriers and Enablers of Knowledge Creation in Academic Consulting Engagements' Paper presented at British Academy of Management Conference 2019, Birmingham, United Kingdom, 3/09/19 - 5/09/19
- Balthu, K, Clegg, BT & Morris, G 2019, 'Improving professional service operations using action research: The case of legal services' Paper presented at 26th European Operations Management Association Conference 2019, Helsinki, Finland, 17/06/19 - 19/06/19
- Balthu. K, Clegg, B.T, Morris, ‘Transforming a professional service firm: Success from a law firm’. Annual Conference on Professional Service Firms. University of Oxford. 27-29 June 2013.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, B.T, Morris, G., Shipton, H., Hunt, P, ‘Strategic Change in Professional Service Firms: Case of a Law Firm’. Proceedings of Spring Servitization Conference. Aston University. 20-22 May 2013.
- Balthu, K., Clegg, B.T., Morris, G., Shipton, Hunt, P. ‘Using Systems Thinking to Improve Professional Service Delivery in a UK Law Firm’. Proceedings of XVI Society of Operations Management Conference (SOM2012), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, India. 21-23 December 2012.
- Balthu, KC., Clegg, BT., Morris, G., ‘Creating High Value Services in a Law Firm: Higgs & Sons Solicitors’. KTP Conference, University of Brighton, 14 June 2012.
Industry related Case Study articles
- Balthu. K, Clegg, B.T, Morris, G., ‘Organisational transformation through knowledge transfer’ EFMD Excellence in Practice Awards. Finalist in ‘Organisation Development’ Category. 2014.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, B.T, Morris, G., ‘Creating High Value Legal Services’. Winmark Business Network. 28 August 2012. winmarkeurope.com.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, B.T, Morris, G., ‘Process Improvement through Academic Collaboration’ The Professional Services Sector in Focus – CEO Network Members Survey 2012. Winmark in Association with Deloitte. 2012. pp. 23.
- Key Note speaker at the National KTP Conference 2017, University of Birmingham, 21 June 2017.
- Invited speaker at Alternative Legal Management Summit 2017 ‘Genuinely delivering innovation in your law firm’ 18-19 September 2017, Oxford.
- Invited speaker at International Legal Technology Association (ILTA) Conference, ‘Innovation in Law firms’, 29 August 2016, National Harbor, USA.
- Invited Speaker at Legal Finance Forum, ‘Delivering change in law firms’, 10 June 2016, London.
- Invited speaker at the Insight 2015 Conference, ILTA Europe Chapter, 12 November 2015, London.
- Invited speaker at the ILTA Conference, ‘Transformers: Lawyers as agents of change? In disguise!’ 3 September 2015, Las Vegas, USA.
- Research presentation on ‘Applying Systems Thinking to Improve Operations Management Practice in Professional Service Firms’. Midlands Regional Doctoral Colloquium. 12 June 2015,University of Birmingham.
- Invited presentation at the CEPLER Centre, Birmingham University Law School on the topic of “Strategic Change in Law Firms” 19 Nov 2014.
- Invited panellist at the Briefing Business Transformation Conference 2014 London. Presented on the topic of “getting partners and lawyers engaged with change” attended by over 80 law firm leaders and managers.
- Masterclass on applied research along with Prof. Ben Clegg at Aston Business School, 28 Jan 2014. Attended by all KTP and KEEN Associates working at Aston University.
- Invited Presentation along with Prof. Ben Clegg and Glyn Morris (Higgs & Sons) at the West Midlands Economic Forum on 15 Feb 2013 – ‘Lean Approaches in Professional Service Firms’ attended by around 100 business leaders from the West Midlands region and beyond.
- Balthu, K., Clegg, B.T., Morris, G., ‘Redesigning legal services for the next generation of clients’ Working Paper presented at EurOMA Service Operations Management Forum. 19-20 September 2012, University of Cambridge.
- Presented at the Professional Development Workshop on ‘HRM for Impact’, British Academy of Management (BAM) Conference. 11-13 September 2012, Cardiff University.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, BT. 2015. Applying Systems Thinking to Deliver Strategic Change in Professional Service Firms. 3MT Poster Competition. Aston University, May 2015.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, BT, Morris, G., Hunt, P. 2014. ‘Transforming a Traditional Law Firm into a Role Model for Innovative Practices. KTP Poster Competition. Aston University. March 2014. Won 2nd Prize.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, BT, Morris, G., Shipton, H., Hunt, P. 2013. ‘Leveraging Innovation to Transform a Traditional Law Firm’. KTP Poster Competition. Aston University. March 2013.
- Balthu, K., Clegg, BT., Morris, G., Shipton, H., ‘Creating High Value Services in a Law Firm: Higgs & Sons Solicitors’. KTP Associates Conference, Brighton, June 14th, 2012.
- Balthu. K, Clegg, BT, Morris, G. 2012. ‘Achieving Cultural and Operational Change within a Professional Services Firm’. KTP Poster Competition. Aston University. March 2012.
- Balthu. K, Wu. J, Jenkins. N, 2010. ‘Development of a smart grid simulator’. AuRA-NMS Project Closure Conference. Imperial College, London.
- Winner, InnovAction Award 2014 alongwith Glyn Morris (FD, Higgs & Sons)from College of Law Practice Management at the Futures Conference 2014, Suffolk University, Boston, USA on 17 October 2014.
- Finalist, Innovative Law Firm of the Year award, ILTA Conference 2016, National Harbor, USA.
- Finalist “Business Leader of Tomorrow” a UK national level award annually presented by Innovate, UK for high performing KTP Associates.
- Awarded the highest grade “Outstanding” by the Technology Strategy Board (Innovate UK) for our KTP project among 800 live projects across the UK.
- Project awarded 3rd place only next to Eversheds and Linklaters at the national level ‘The Lawyer Management Awards 2013’ in the category of “Excellence and/or Innovation in Law Firm Financial Management”.
- Project named Finalist among 800 live projects in the UK for the award of “Best Partnership” at the annual “Best of the Best” awards held on 6 Nov 2014. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/knowledge-transfer-partnerships-best-of-the-best-2014
- ‘Highly Commended’ for Innovation in service delivery, Higgs & Sons Staff Awards, 2013.
- A video case on our project was published on NCUB website. See: http://www.ncub.co.uk/members-info/aston-business-partnership-videos.html
- 2013 to 2018, Administrator for Indian Academy of Management, a consortium of management researchers founded at Aston University with over 1200 members from across the globe.
- 2016, Delivered teaching and mentoring to GCSE and BTEC students at Sandwell Academy, West Bromwich through Mosaic Enterprise Challenge, a Business in the Community (BITC) project supported by Higgs & Sons.
- 2014, Provided advisory and mentoring support to Black Country Tool Bank, a not for profit organisation through Business in the Community (BITC) supported by Higgs & Sons.