Work Placements FAQs

International FAQs - Careers and Placements
An overseas industrial placement year is a year spent employed full-time by a company abroad in the third year of your undergraduate degree (also known as the placement year).

There are many benefits to the Aston abroad work placement: 

  • You will have the opportunity to gain cross-cultural awareness whilst forming excellent links with employers in countries across the world. 
  • You will receive extensive support by the placement team – before, during and after your placement. 
  • You will be able to experience a different culture, meet people from around the world and develop your language skills, with the end goal of enhancing your employability from your new-found professional ability. 
The world is your oyster! 

You do not necessarily need to speak the local foreign language to work abroad. Having the opportunity to immerse yourself in a new country will help you to improve your language skills and gain cross-cultural skills.

However, students on a language degree have to work in their target language. 

If your degree does not include languages, you are free to choose from a wide variety of countries to undertake your work placement. 

Contact your School for more information regarding how you will be accessed during your work placement abroad. 
Yes. You can be an international student and undertake a work placement abroad.
EU students travelling inside the EU will not need a visa, however international students will need a visa to work in another country. Please contact the host country embassy in London and do some research online to find out more. 

For a detailed guide on the fees and funding available, please check the funding page.

For a general guide, you can check living expenses between different countries by using the Expatistan website. 

Check the Erasmus+ page for more information regarding the grant available. 

Erasmus application documents will be sent to you a month before you commence your placement and it is essential you sign a working agreement once you are in the partner country to ensure the Erasmus+ grant is paid. 

Check the Erasmus+ page to see a detailed breakdown of the amount of grant available for certain countries. 
You can still apply as normal for your placement fee loan and you may be eligible for a higher rate of maintenance loan and grant. Please contact Student Finance England for more information or alternatively, contact The Hub.
This is dependent upon the job role and the company – it cannot always be guaranteed that work placements will be paid.  
The placement year counts towards 10% of your overall degree mark. 
It may seem overwhelming at first to find overseas accommodation, however with research you will quickly discover there are many options for students moving abroad. Every country is different so we encourage you to check suitable places to live with your employer, as this will give you more insight into the types of accommodation available and what you can get for your money. 
You will need to contact the accommodation office who will advise you on what steps you need to take to secure accommodation on campus. 

For your work abroad placement, the documents you need to complete are as follows:

  • A signed contact by yourself and your employer
  • Health and Safety Form

These will need to be uploaded to MAP (My Aston Portal) for approval. 

Moving to a new country can be very challenging to start with and if you feel you are not enjoying your work placement as much as you initially thought, there are many people who are happy to help you in your journey. 

You can contact the Counselling and Mental Wellbeing Service in the following ways:

Alternatively, if you do not wish to speak to the counselling and wellbeing team, you can get into contact with your personal tutor, School or the placement team who are always on hand to help. 

However, the counselling and wellbeing team is not an emergency service. If you wish to access immediate help and support, we suggest that you contact the emergency services in your country of work. 

Your insurance whilst abroad is covered by Aston University and you have the option of requesting a European Health Insurance Card for your overseas travel. 

To apply, visit: