Summer 2020 Graduation - #VirtualAstonGrads
Aston University will be holding online celebrations today (29 July) to welcome its most recent graduates into its alumni community.
As part of the day’s activities, we will be asking new graduates - wherever they are in the world - to share pictures or videos of themselves in their graduation outfits with the hashtag #VirtualAstonGrads.
Message from the Vice-Chancellor
View our digital graduation Summer 2020 brochure
How to get involved today
- Follow @astonuniversity on Instagram and @astonalumni and @astonuniversity on Twitter and Facebook to find out more about what is happening. Tag your posts using #VirtualAstonGrads and join in as much or as little as you like.
- Download your personalised Facebook cover from the @AstonUniversity Facebook page
- Create your own home-made graduation outfit, get together on video calls with your graduating friends (and share a screenshot with us). A celebration kit for you to print and cut out at home to help make your day extra special can be found at the #VirtualAstonGrads cut out section.
- Enter the #VirtualAstonGrads competitions! Using the hashtag on your pictures automatically enters you in the Graduation Bears Prize Draw, or you can enter the Photography Competition on Instagram in one of three categories: Funniest Pic; Most Creative; the #TeamAston Award. Please ensure you read the guidance below for the competition you wish to enter and the University’s competition rules.
We hope that you enjoy your celebrations today!
We hope that this virtual graduation celebration will go some way to show you how proud we are of your achievements. Check these web pages for more information regarding future graduation ceremonies.
#VirtualAstonGrads Cut-Out Resources
Want to make your #VirtualAstonGrads day extra special? Download and print out the resource pack below and create your own special photos, whether for memories or for our photo competitions.
#VirtualAstonGrads Cut Out Resources
#VirtualAstonGrads competition rules
There are two competitions taking place as part of the #VirtualAstonGrads celebrations. Please ensure you read the guidance for the competition you wish to enter, and the University’s competition rules. We can’t wait to see your pictures – good luck!
Graduation Bears Prize Draw
- This competition is open to all graduates of Aston past and present.
- Entries will go in to a prize draw to win one of 100 Aston graduation bears.
- To enter, share a graduation photo of yourself on Wednesday 29th July 2020 using the hashtag #VirtualAstonGrads on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or in the Aston University WeChat group.
- Your post must be ‘public’ and use the #VirtualAstonGrads hashtag so we can find your entry.
- Class of 2020 graduates can submit pictures of their virtual celebration of the end of their degree.
- Graduates of previous years can share their own graduation day pictures, also using the #VirtualAstonGrads hashtag.
- Winners will be drawn at random by the Aston Alumni team on 31st July 2020.
- This competition is open to those graduates who completed their degree in Summer 2020 only.
- The winner in each category will win a limited edition Aston Class of 2020 hoodie and graduation bear.
- Entries must be made via Instagram post before midnight on Wednesday 29th July using the #VirtualAstonGrads hashtag and @AstonUniversity must be tagged in. Your post must be ‘public’.
- You must say which category you are entering in your post. There are three categories:
- Funniest Photo
- Most Creative
- #TeamAston Award
- Judges from Aston Marketing and Alumni teams will meet on 30th to discuss, and we expect to announce the winners for category 1 and 2 on 31st July.
- The #TeamAston Award is for the photo which best shows the Aston team spirit. The judges will select finalists, which will go forward to public vote on Instagram on 31st July.
Competition Rules (Bears prize draw and Photography competition)
- Entries submitted after the closing date will not be accepted.
- There is no limit on the number of submissions.
- We will notify the winners via their social media accounts, and you must respond to confirm your postal address within 7 days of this notification.
- By entering the competition you agree to us publishing your name on any official Facebook, Twitter, Instagram accounts, webpages, email communications or publications associated with Aston University.
- The University reserves the right to use any images or videos entered in its marketing activity.
- Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.
- The University cannot guarantee a response to unsuccessful participants.
- The University reserves the right to postpone or to cancel the competitions for any reason.
- Please note that there may be a delay in sending prizes while access to campus is limited.
Postponement of Summer 2020 Degree ceremonies
Due to the continuing spread and impact of COVID-19 and in the light of the UK government's rules on social distancing and the continued uncertainty about when they will be lifted, Aston University has taken the decision to postpone its degree congregation ceremonies scheduled for July this year.
Graduation ceremonies are the culmination of years of hard work for students and we wish to assure you that we fully appreciate how important these events are for you, your family and friends - as they are for all staff at the University. We want to celebrate you and your success and there will be an opportunity for you to attend a graduation ceremony at a future date. This will happen when the UK is no longer affected by restrictions on national and international travel and large group gatherings.
At this stage, the University has identified 25 and 26 November 2020 as provisional dates for the rescheduling of its summer ceremonies and is planning accordingly. These plans will be reviewed in September and confirmation of these dates will be subject to the latest Government advice on social distancing and travel at that time.
Please refer any queries regarding arrangements for graduation ceremonies by email.