Healthcare information for International Students

International students and EU students can find information about UK healthcare here. You should register with a local doctor/GP as soon as possible when you arrive in the UK in case you need medical assistance whilst you are studying at Aston University.

The nearest NHS doctor's surgery (general practitioner/GP) to campus is the Halcyon Medical Centre. It is based in the Lower Ground Floor of Boots (opposite Marks and Spencer) on High St in Birmingham city centre, about half a mile from campus and is open seven days a week. It forms part of the Birmingham Health Care Floor in Boots which includes additional services such as a Sexual Health Clinic, Dental Outreach and a Walk-in Centre.

If you don't live on campus, you can find a GP's surgery close to where you live here

If you are an international student already registered with a GP in the UK, your medical records can be obtained quickly from your previous GP. If you have a UK medical card which has your NHS number printed on it, please take it to your new Birmingham GP in order to speed up the registration process.

For information about Aston University's dentist and optometry clinics, click here.

Health Centre

Medical emergencies 

On campus: If you need an ambulance or other emergency service, please call Security on 2222 - do not call the ambulance service direct, as Security need to allow access to these services and need to know the exact location of the emergency. This will help to improve response times of the emergency services.

Off campus - If you need immediate medical assistance (for example because of an accident) you should telephone 999, which is a free phone number. Your call will be put through to an operator who will ask which emergency service you require (Fire, Police, Ambulance).

Do I need to pay for healthcare in the UK?

EU Students -  you will be entitled to free treatment on the NHS, but you must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you arrive in the UK.

Students with visa for longer than 6 months -  you will pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of your visa application. If you pay this fee, you will be entitled to free NHS healthcare once you arrive in the UK.

Students with a visa for less than 6 months -  you should obtain a private healthcare insurance policy to cover any medical costs while you are in the UK. If you don't have insurance, you'll need to pay for healthcare as a private patient, which can be expensive.

Further information

Last updated 07/02/2018 JCD