Inviting family or friends for a visit to the UK

If your  spouse or partner, family or friends, are coming to visit you in the UK, and they  are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, it is likely that they will need to apply for a visa.

Your guests - whether they are family or friends - may apply for the Standard Visitor Visa if they intend to visit you for less than 6 months.   

Please be aware that under this visa category your guests are not permitted to undertake any work, and it would not be possible for them to switch into another visa category within the UK.   

You can find full information about the Standard Visitor visa on the  Home Office website.

If your guests  are planning to visit the UK in order to accompany you for your graduation, we have specific advice about inviting guests to attend your graduation

Birmingham Bullring

Applications are made online and the application form is available on the UKVI application website

For those countries where it is not possible to apply online, the paper application forms are available to download from the  Home Office website

  • Passport

  • One passport photograph

  • The entry clearance fee in local currency

  • Evidence that they have enough money to support themselves whilst in the UK, for example, bank statements, payslips, or a letter from their employer.  

  • If you intend to support them financially during their visit they will also need to provide your bank statements with their application, and a letter from you confirming that you are able to maintain and accommodate them during their stay.
    If they will be staying with you, you may also need to provide proof of your accommodation and that they have permission to stay with you.

  • A short invitation letter from you, confirming your relationship with them and the reason you are inviting them to come to the UK.  Download a sample letter.

  • A letter from the University which confirms you are enrolled at Aston. You can request this letter via MAP for collection from The Hub Advice Zone.

  • A photocopy of your passport (the photograph page), of your current student visa or biometric residence permit and of your police registration certificate if you have one.  Do not send originals.

  • Evidence that your family have every reason to leave the UK at the end of their visit, for example a letter from their employer.

  •  If you have plans (an itinerary) for their visit then write it down and give it to your visitors. For example Day 1: Collect from Birmingham airport. Day 2: Tour of Birmingham shops Day 3 Visit Worcester by train. Day 4 Coach trip to Warwick Castle etc. You can include hotel or tour bookings if you have any.

You can find further guidance on supporting documents on the Home Office website.

Last checked and updated on 31/01/2018 vn