Advice for Care Leavers

The University is really proud of the support that we offer to all of our students.  We are committed to providing  support and advice before you come to University in our outreach work with  schools and colleges and during your time here. 

The contact at Aston University for Care Leavers:

Student Advisers 
The Hub 
Aston University 
Aston Triangle 
Birmingham B4 7ET 

Telephone: 0121 204 4007 

care leavers page

Students newly enrolled at Aston University who have experience of being in care are contacted with information outlining the support that is available during term 1. If we haven't been in contact with you please email us. 

We will understand that you have been in care because you will have indicated this on your UCAS application. If you choose not to share this information with UCAS you can let us know yourself.

Our website GetAhead@Aston is a great source of information and advice. This ranges from academic support you can access at Aston such as Study Skillsto what it is like attending lectures.  You can also listen to Podcastsdetailing the experiences of some of our students.  Perhaps you would like to visit the University on one of our Open Days to get a real feel of what Aston University can offer. 

Why not get in touch with a current Aston University student who can be a Mentor before you enroll at Aston, giving you key information and advice first hand.  You can also get help if you are new to Birmingham via our Transition Mentoringscheme.

Sometimes you may find that you need extra financial support to cover your living costs. The Hub Advice Zone may be able to offer you help with these costs via the Aston Support Fund. 

We consider applications from care experienced students and students who have lived or do live in temporary accommodation sensitively and will provide assistance in a variety of ways should you need it.

Coming to university is a great experience and there will be many opportunities to get involved.  The staff in the Hub have lots of experience of providing assistance, advice and guidance. 

Please contact the Student Advisersin the Hub for further information or Telephone the Hub to make an appointment: 0121 204 4007

Students also have the opportunity to access academic support and guidance from the Learning Development Centrewhich is based on the 1st Floor of our Library.  Here you can attend workshops and receive one-to-one support with a Learning Development Adviser on a range of topics. 

Feedback from students on this service is really positive.

There are opportunities for you to relax and have fun with people who share similar interests as you .  Aston Students' Union provides many   opportunities for this through their student clubs and societies including the Aston LGBT+, Aston Fitness Club and Aston Live Music Society to name just a few.  

The Union also provide many other support networks and sources of advice.  

This factsheet outlines the SFE financial entitlements young people from care will receive.

The Student Room, Student Finance Zone is a great source of funding advice. If you would like help and assistance with your application to Student Finance England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland please contact the Hub to speak to one of our Student Advisers.

Scholarship information is available here.

You might be eligible for the Aston Aspire Care Leavers Scholarship, which provides a £500 scholarship in Year One and £1250 in your Placement Year.

You might also be eligible for the Unite Foundation Scholarship for care leavers and estranged students which offers up to three years free accommodation in residences owned by Unite Students.

Bursary for Care Leavers & Estranged Students

For the 2016/2017 academic year Aston University has launched a one-off £1,000 scholarship for final year students to attend their graduation ceremony from the Aston Support Fund.  If you are a final year student graduating in the summer of 2017 and identify with being estranged from your family or have experience of the care system please complete the application form that will be published here in June 2017 before the closing date of July 7 2017.

If Birmingham is your Local Authority you may be entitled to a one-off Higher Education Bursary of £2,000. Birmingham local authority may also help you with accommodation (rent) costs and travel to and from university.

Other local authorities will have their own support package that they offer young people who have experience of being in care.

This local authority support can be accessed via your Personal Adviser. You may also access a range of other practical support from your adviser and you should keep in touch throughout your studies. 

If you live in Birmingham the contact details are:

18+ Service 
PO Box 16378 
Birmingham B2 2AH 
Tel: 0121 464 1229 

Or search in the Local Authority Directory.

Aston University Links:

External Links:

The student room
  • Become
    Providing help, support and advice to children in care and young care leavers so that they can take control of their lives and unleash their potential
  • Propel
    Fully searchable website providing care leavers with information on the support available to them from colleges and universities offering higher education courses across the UK.
  • Standalone
    Supporting People who are estranged from their family or key family member.
Stand alone
  • Coram Voice
    Coram Voice enables and equips children and young people to hold to account the services that are responsible for their care.
Coram Voice
  • Turn2us
    Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services.
  • Rees: The Care Leavers Foundation
    Making modest but vital grants to care leavers aged 18-29 who are in crisis, or who want to take control of their lives and develop new skills.

Please forward any inquiries to: 

Content checked & Updated HM 08/03/2017