The Susan Cadbury Fund

Here are some Quick FAQs.

The Susan Cadbury Fund offers financial support to EU and international students who are in unexpected financial difficulties. If you would like to discuss this to see if your situation meets this eligibility please  contact us.

The grants offered are considered by assessing your circumstances on a case by case basis. You may be considered for financial assistance if you are experiencing an unforeseen situation that will not be resolved in the immediate future and which has impacted on your financial capability to afford your basic living costs.

These funds are for fully-enrolled Aston University students. If you are not fully enrolled when you apply your application will be rejected. 

If you have any questions about these funds please email

You may like to book an appointment with Hub advisors prior to applying for hardship funds. This can be done by logging into the Hub's booking system:

Please ensure you have read the Policy document before applying to the Fund.

To apply you must complete an application form and discuss the finances you had in place to cover your tuition fees and living costs. You also need to explain what has happened to change the financial provision you made prior to enrolment/re-enrolment. 

You will be asked to submit supporting documents of your circumstances. This is needed so that we can fully consider your situation and assess your income and basic outgoings. 

Initially you are requested to submit:

  • Three months' of up to date bank statements for all accounts you hold
  • Your letter from Student Finance showing tuition and maintenance loan amounts
  • If applicable, tenancy agreement showing total rent and due dates
  • Any other information you feel will support your application

 Stages of the application:

  1. Complete the application form (see link in 'Apply Now' below)
  2. Submit the application form and supporting documents, either by emailing them to, bringing them into the Hub or by posting to the University for the attention of the Student Funds Officer, Student & Academic Services, Main Building.
  3. We will assess your circumstances 
  4. We contact you with the result of your application or to ask for further information or to invite you to an appointment to discuss your circumstances 

For your application to be considered you need to demonstrate and illustrate through supporting evidence:

1) That you made enough financial provision to fully fund your tuition fees and a basic level of living costs before starting the course (or active year). This financial provision could for example be from sources such as Student Finance England, a Professional & Career Development Loan, Scholarships, Savings, Employment or family contributions.

2) That your situation is unexpected (it could not normally have been planned for), that it is short-term/could be resolved between 1 and 12 weeks and that currently you have no other sources of income. This will be demonstrated though the application form and supported with the documentary evidence that you submit as a part of your application.

Your application will be carefully considered in a fair and confidential environment on the basis of what you have included in your application form and the documentary evidence that you provide to support the circumstances that you have described in your application form.

As part of the normal assessment process we may ask you to come into the Hub for an appointment to discuss your circumstances in a bit more detail.  We may also ask you to see an adviser for advice on the management of debt, money advice and budgeting assistance.

Should you wish to meet with Hub advisors, which may mean you do not need to apply to the Fund and submit financial information, you can book an appointment by logging into the Hub's appointment booking system:

Application Form (Word document)

Application Form (PDF document)

Information guide (PDF document)

Susan Cadbury Fund policy 2018/2019 (PDF document)

Note: the application form can be completed electronically and emailed to, or by hand and passed to the Student Funds Officer via the Hub Reception, Main Building.

Checked & updated DR 14/05/19