Support for Parents

Making the decision to come to University when you have caring responsibilities for children can be challenging. At Aston University we welcome and celebrate our diverse student body.  If you are in the process of applying for Student Finance please contact the Hub Advice Zone to speak to a Student Adviser. We can help you with further advice and information or assistance and guidance with your funding application.

Maintenance Grant

For students who start new courses after 2016/17 there will be no grant.  A larger loan will be available for students from low income families.

Students who started courses in 2015/16 or earlier can  receive a maintenance grant if you have a household income of £42,620 or less.  This is a non-repayable grant that full-time undergraduates receive.   If you receive some means-tested benefits you will not receive the Maintenance Grant but the Special Support Grant (see below).

Parents Learning Allowance

Your eligibility for this non-repayable grant is assessed on your household income.  The allowance of up to £1,669 is awarded to full-time undergraduates with dependent children for course related costs.

Childcare Grant

You may receive this means-tested grant if your dependent children are in Ofsted registered and approved childcare.  The grant may cover up to 85% of your childcare costs.  To make an application for the Childcare Grant you will need to complete a separate CCG1 form.  The grant is a maximum of £164.70 per week if you have one child and a maximum £282.36 per week if you have more than one child.  If you already receive the childcare element of Working Tax Credit your eligibility for the Childcare Grant ceases.

Adult Dependents' Grant 

You can apply for an additional non-repayable grant of up to £2,925 if your partner or another adult living with you is financially dependent on you.

Child Benefit

You will qualify for Child Benefit if you have financial responsibility for dependent children.  You will also qualify if you care for a young person under 20 who is in full-time education that is under degree level. 

Child Tax Credit

You will qualify for this Inland Revenue payment  if you have financial responsibility for dependent children.  You will also qualify if you care for a young person under 20 who is in full-time education that is under degree level.  The amount you will receive is made up from different elements that depend on your family circumstances ans your income.

Income Support

If you are a single parent with the caring responsibilities for a child under the age of 5 who lives with you, Income Support may be available during the summer vacations (July and August).  To qualify you must be a continuing student (returning to continue your course after the vacation period).  During term time your Student Finance will be taken into account in the benefit assessment which may cancel out your eligibility for Income Support during this time.

Housing Benefit

As a single parent you have an underlying eligibility for Housing Benefit.  As with Income Support, during term time your student funding will be taken into account and may cancel out or reduce your entitlement.

Balancing study commitments with your day-to-day life can be difficult.  However, knowing your child is in a safe environment close to the university can make the transition into Higher Education easier.

The Aston University Nursery is an Ofsted registered provider of nursery care for children aged 6 weeks to 5 years. Support over the vacation periods for children aged 4 ½ to 11 yrs old is also provided. 

The Aston University Nursery Ofsted registration number is: EY337194

You can locate further advice and support with choosing an Ofsted registered childcare service here.

Checked & Updated 18/12/2017 KJ