International And EU Students

International and EU Students: 

If you are an International or EU applicant/student at Aston you may contact us at any point. The Enabling Team co-ordinates support for students who have physical/sensory disabilities, mental health conditions or specific learning difficulties (SpLDs). We offer a confidential service and can provide advice on disability-related issues as well as practical support needs.

Before you arrive

In order to organise your support needs, it is important for us to receive the completed Applicant Support Request Form along with supporting documentation or evidence as early as possible. The evidence must be translated to English to allow us to put any support requirements in place, ready for the start of your course.

**Please note – International and EU students are not normally eligible for the same financial support as UK-resident students and we strongly advise that you ensure appropriate funding is in place before you arrive at University. 

Aston University will make every effort to help you find ways of paying for any support you need, but you or your sponsors may be asked to pay for resources or equipment such as personal care, study support workers, sign language interpreters, equipment or extensive brailing. You should contact us as early as possible for advice.

When you contact the Enabling Team, an appointment will be made for you with a Disability Adviser so you can discuss your support needs; if you are unable to come in to the University, a telephone or online appointment can be made.  The Adviser will provide you with information about the services that are available and will discuss the support that can be recommended based on your condition/the evidence you have provided. If you have or believe you may have Dyslexia or a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD), they can also discuss the process by which an assessment can be arranged.

If you have any queries or would simply like to talk about your support needs while at the University and for other advice regarding support needs, please contact us.

Translated Documents

Evidence must either be the original version written in English, or an original copy in a language other than English, accompanied by a translation.

The translation must be done by a professional translator, often referred to as a sworn translator in the EU.

In the UK, one option is to use the Institute of Translating and Interpreting (ITI)

However, you may find it more convenient to source a translator in your home country.

Additional Support

Many of the services that the Enabling Team provide or co-ordinate are open to all students with disability-related additional needs, regardless of nationality, and at no additional cost.  Here are some examples of disability-related academic support that is available:

  • Alternative exam arrangements such as additional time in formal exams and class tests, rest breaks and adapted papers, e.g. enlarged font, a reader or scribe, and sympathetic marking of exam scripts.
  • Reasonable adjustments in lectures: for example, consent to record lectures, accessible teaching rooms, hand-outs and lecture slide presentations in advance of lectures.
  • You can access the Learning Development Centre in the library for additional support with assessments.

  •  We also have assistive technology available such as read and write. You can see what assistive technology is available here. 

  • Extended library loans
  • Coping strategy tutorials to devise study techniques that are compatible with the type of disability you have, and if reasonable Study Assistants and Note Takers may be provided. 
  • The combination of these and others will depend on the nature of your condition or learning difference, and how it affects your studies.

Some of the  services we provide, however, do have a cost associated with them because of the way Higher Education is funded in the UK, and it is likely that you would have to fund these yourself or through a sponsor.

Personal assistance

We are unable to provide support with daily living tasks for any students, irrespective of nationality, so you may need to think very carefully about any non-academic support that you may require, for example assistance with:

  • Shopping, cooking and cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Personal care such as washing, dressing and toileting

Please think about any daily living support that you receive at the moment from family and friends.  In the UK, the people who you are living with might help you occasionally, if specifically asked, but the expectation is that you would not rely on this. If you require on-going personal assistance, we would expect you to employ a care assistant, and you would need to pay for this yourself or through your sponsor, if you have one. Charges will vary depending on the type of support that may be required, and arrangements would need to be confirmed well in advance of you arriving at University.  The Enabling Team can give you information about local agencies that provide these services, but you will need to organise and secure the funding.

Wheelchairs will need to be provided by the student or they can be rented from a local mobility hire provider.

We are very willing to talk with you about financial assistance towards academic and non-academic disability related costs, however, please be aware that any alternative sources of funding are likely to be limited, and need to be applied for well in advance of your arrival.

Disability Contact Icon
Checked By DT - 27/11/2017