Under the Points Based Immigration System (PBS), the University is the educational sponsor for your Tier 4 visa. Aston University holds a Tier 4 Sponsor licence.
As your Tier 4 visa sponsor, the University is obliged to monitor your attendance and progress on your course and check you are not doing anything which breaks the conditions of your visa. Therefore, the University must keep records about you and report any changes or problems to the UKVI.
What records are kept by Aston University?
We (the University) must make and store a scanned copy of your passport and of your visa or biometric residence permit. If you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate, we need to have a copy too. ATAS is needed for some postgraduates in the Life & Health Sciences School and in the Engineering School.
- We must keep up to date information on your contact details; it is your responsibility to ensure your contact details are up to date by using My Aston Portal (MAP). You will be shown how to use MAP when you first arrive at the University.
When must Aston report me to the Home Office?
We have to tell the Home Office:
- If you do not enrol, on your course.
- If you are delayed from enroling onto your course.
- If you defer, postpone or take a break from your studies for any reason.
- If you withdraw or you are withdrawn from your course.
- If, on a regular basis, you fail to attend a class or lecture or fail to submit academic work.
- If you change your course or you complete your studies early.
- If you go onto an approved placement or change placement address.
- If you are studying at a location away from campus that we have authorised.
- If you move to a different institution.
- If you break the conditions of your visa e.g. by working more than 20 hours per week in term time or by failing to register with the police if you are asked to do so.
- If you change immigration status and are no longer in the UK as a student.
You must provide us with all the information needed to help us to meet these reporting duties. If you do not do this, the Home Office may investigate us and take action against us which may, in turn, affect you.
What should I do?
How you can help us:
If you have a new visa, renew or change your visa, please go to The Hub on the ground floor of the Main Building and take your passport and visa with you. The Hub will take a scanned copy of your new visa details. * This is not necessary if the International Student Advisers have obtained your new visa for you because they will automatically update University records.
What if I need to leave the UK during term time?
Please refer to our website regarding engagement monitoring.
If you would like further information on Sponsorship duties, please contact one of the International Student Advisers who are based in
Upper Foyer Main Building, email@example.com, 0121 204 4567
Last updated 16/05/2019 VN