What is a meal plan?
A meal plan is a scheme developed by the University. This enables students to purchase a prepaid uniCARD at the start of each academic year. Money will be apportioned to the card on a weekly basis for the purchase of food and non-alcoholic beverages at any outlet operated by Catering@Aston which are, Tierra Food Court, Café Libro and Cafe66. The meal plan scheme cannot be used at any other food outlets i.e. the Students’ Union B4 Bar.
When can I use the uniCARD?
The uniCARD can be used during term time between the hours of 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday.
Individual outlet times on campus vary between the above stated hours. Any change in outlet times will be communicated via: www.aston.ac.uk/current-students/nourish
Who do these terms and conditions apply to?
These terms and conditions apply to all students of the University and residents of Aston Student Village and the Fire Station.
What period will the meal plan cover?
The meal plan will be purchased for the applicable academic year.
How to register for a meal plan.
You can take part in the meal plan scheme in one of three ways:
- Book and pay online at: https://store.aston.ac.uk/product-catalogue/catering/meal-plans.
- Call the catering administrator in the catering office on 0121 204 4645.
- Visit CafeLibro, Cafe66, Tierra Food Court or the G10 Catering Office and talk to one of the managers or supervisors.
Terms and Conditions
Payment and Account Activation
- Payments are processed online, at the time of booking, via https://store.aston.ac.uk/product-catalogue/catering/meal-plans.
- Payment must be made at the time of booking.
- All payments should include your student ID number as a reference to ensure your meal plan is activated.
- Accounts will become active on the first day of the term for which the meal plan has been purchased.
- Accounts will only be activated if payment is confirmed by Catering@Aston.
Using your Student ID uniCARD to redeem the Meal Plan allowance
- Each Monday at 00:00hrs your uniCARD will be automatically topped up with £43.00. This equates to £8.60 per day. It is your responsibility to ensure your funds are used at the end of each week. Any unspent money will be lost. This money will not be carried over to the next week or refunded to you.
- In the event that you run out of funds before the end of the week, outstanding balances may be settled using cash, debit/credit card or TouchPay. TouchPay is a cashless payment scheme that runs alongside the meal plan scheme. Information on TouchPay can be found at www.aston.ac.uk/current-students/nourish.
- The uniCARD must be presented at the time of purchase. Failure to show your uniCARD may result in you not being able to redeem your funds.
- In the event that a meal plan has not been purchased for a full academic year you may top-up your uniCARD on a term by term basis. Any top-ups must be made prior to the start date of the new term but no later than 72hrs before 9am on the first day of the new term.
- The minimum top-up permitted will be one term’s package charge and the maximum top-up will be one year’s package charge. Please contact Catering@Aston for more details.
Cancellation or Termination
- The University may terminate the meal plan scheme at any time on reasonable grounds and upon one weeks’ prior written notice ending on the Sunday before the new week commences. In the event that this clause 11 applies, you will receive a full refund of any monies unspent on the uniCARD.
- You are entitled to cancel the meal plan scheme at any time upon one weeks’ prior written notice to Catering@Aston. To cancel, please submit your cancellation request, in writing to email@example.com. When sending this to the University please mark it for the attention of the Head of Catering. Provided the written notification of cancellation is received in accordance with this point 12 you will receive a full refund of any monies unspent on your uniCARD.
- Any cancellation made will be subject to an administration fee of £10.00 to process the required updates to the meal plan scheme, refund process and termination of the plan on your account.
- Any refund by the University made pursuant to these terms and conditions will be made within 14 days.
- Refunds will either be paid into your personal account direct, or, where initial payments were made using a debit/credit card, to the original cardholders account.
Lost or Stolen uniCARDs
- Any lost or stolen uniCARDs must be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to avoid being unable to redeem you funds.
- In the event that your uniCARD is lost or stolen you will be responsible for obtaining a replacement via the IT department between the hours of 10am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- If you are unable to obtain a replacement uniCARD on the same day, you must contact the Catering Manager.
- You will not be held liable for any subsequent purchases made using your uniCARD from the date and time the notification of loss is received to the email@example.com inbox. Once your new uniCARD is issued the outstanding value from your old card will be transferred.
Misuse and Fraud
- Any misuse of your uniCARD or breach of these terms and conditions may result in your card being recalled by the University and you being withdrawn from the meal plan scheme. You will receive a full refund of any monies unspent on your uniCARD in accordance with point 10.
- You may not loan your uniCARD to any other person.
- You may not transfer funds from your uniCARD to another person’s uniCARD or their TouchPay account.
- The University reserves the right to request additional ID of the account holder of the uniCARD when purchasing food and/or beverages.
- Any attempt to defraud the meal plan scheme will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with University policy and/or reported to the Police.
- The University will only deal with you in relation to your account. It is your responsibility to notify firstname.lastname@example.org of any changes to your account details.
- The uniCARD will remain the property of the University.
- The University reserves the right in its absolute discretion to refuse any application onto the meal plan scheme.
- The University will deal with all personal data provided by you under this meal plan scheme in accordance with applicable legislation such as the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Any complaint or concerns by you in relation to the meal plan scheme must be made in writing to the Head of Catering.
- The University may alter or amend these terms and conditions at any time upon prior written notice of at least one term.
- The University accepts no responsibility and expressly excludes liability for loss, damage or theft to the uniCARD unless caused by the negligence of the University or its employees.