Phone number: 0121 204 3573
Room number : MB176
John is a Lecturer in Geographic Information Systems at Aston University. He engages in research into Remote Sensing and the application of GIS to natural resource management. As well as this, John is the Chair of the University Sport and Recreation Committee. Away from the University, John holds an International Brevet for judging men's gymnastics competitions as well as being a formerly qualified regional coach.
Education and Qualifications:
Part Time Consultancy:
Current Research Interests:
1) The fusion of remote sensed data from different sensors and dates.
2) Airborne remote sensing.
3) Simulation methods to determine risk to ground water systems.
4) The development of a low cost remote sensing system for precision agriculture using inertial navigation and GPS technology for oblique aerial photography.
Selected published papers:
· Elgy J. and Kottagoda NT. 'Infilling Missing Flow Data' Third Int. Symp Hydrol. Colorado 1977.
· Elgy J. and Elgy D. 'Water Resources Simulation on Micro Computers' Chapter in ' Applied Modelling in Catchment Hydrology' Edited by Vijay P. Singh. Water Resources Publications 1982.
· Elgy J. and Chidley TRE 'Low Cost Image Processing, the Future Prospects in Developing Countries' IAHR/UNESCO colloquium on the role of micro computers in developing countries. Delft 1984.
· Elgy J. and Chidley TRE, Hall MJ and Fleetwood-Walker P ‘Tutored Video Instruction’ Education for the Built Environment Professions, Integrated Learning and Teaching. Birmingham Polytechnic April 1985
· Elgy J. and Chidley TRE, Hall MJ and Fleetwood-Walker P ‘Tutored Video Instruction - TVI’ IAHR/UNESCO colloquium on the role of micro computers in developing countries. Delft 1984.
· Elgy J. 'Expert Systems in Hydrology.' Invited contribution to the annual meeting of the British Hydrological Society. London 1986.
· Binley AM, Elgy J & Bevin KA ‘A Physically Based Model of Heterogeneous Hillslopes’ Parts 1 and 2 Water Resources Research 25 June 1989 1219—1233
· Chidley TRE, Elgy J and Antoine J ‘The FAO Guideline's for Computerized Land Resources Appraisal for Sustainable Agriculture’ Published by the Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations
· Chidley TRE Elgy J and Pooley MR ‘An Expert System for irrigation Engineers’ 2nd Int Conf on the Application of AI in Engineering, 1987; Edited by Sirinam and Adey
· Wilkins AJ and Elgy J ‘Application of Expert Systems Technology in the Design of Durable Concrete’ Magazine of Concrete Research, 1991, 43, No 154, Mar., pp 65-69.
· Elgy J, Maksimovic C and Prodanovic D, 'Matching Standard GIS Packages with Urban Storm Drainage Simulation Software' HydroGIS 1993, Vienna, Austria, May 1993
· Elgy J, Chen Z and Blagojevic B 'Using Remote Sensing as an input to an Urban Drainage Model' Poster Presentation, HydroGIS 1993, Vienna, Austria, May 1993.
· Fuchs L, Bauwens W, Griffin S, Elgy J, and Maksimovic C. 'Advanced Computer Techniques for the Design and Renovation of Sewer Systems' Sixth International Conference on Urban Storm Drainage, Niagara Falls, Canada, Sept. 1993.
· Elgy J, Maksimovic C and Prodanovic D, 'Matching Standard GIS Packages with Urban Storm Drainage Simulation Software' Sixth International Conference on Urban Storm Drainage, Niagara Falls, Canada, Sept. 1993.
· Jones HK and Elgy J, 'Remote Sensing to Assess Landfill Gas Migration' Waste Management Research, 12/4 (Aug 1994), pp 327-337.
· Fuchs L, Maksimovic C, Prodanovic D & Elgy J 'Anwendung Geograpischer Informations Systeme bei der Kanalnetzberechnung', Korrespondenz Abwasser October 1994, 1766-1773
· Petrovic J & Elgy J 'The use of meteosat infrared imagery for enhancement of areal rainfall estimates', Remote Sensing and GIS in Urban Waters, UDT 94, Moscow, Russia Sept. 12-16 1994
· Elgy J., TW Charnock and PD Hedges, Relevant GIS and Remote Sensing Technology: Theoretical Considerations, pp 467-491 New technologies, NATO ASI Series 2, Environment - Vol. 15 ISBN 3-540-61533-4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1996
· Elgy J,. TW Charnock and PD Hedges, Use of GIS and Remote Sensing in Water Supply: Applications, pp 491-527 Water Supply Systems, New technologies, NATO ASI Series 2, Environment - Vol. 15 ISBN 3-540-61533-4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1996
· Elgy J.,TW Charnock and J. Snoxell, Geographical Information Systems for Water Supply Inventory, pp 537-555. New technologies, NATO ASI Series 2, Environment - Vol. 15 ISBN 3-540-61533-4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1996
· Elgy J, and Jones HK, Use of Remote Sensing and GIS for Environmental Modelling and Monitoring, pp 155-167 Environmentally Devastated Areas in River Basins in Eastern Europe, NATO ASI series 2. Environment – Vol 45 ISBN 3-540-64751-1 (ISSN 1431-7141), Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1998,
· Maksimovic C, Elgy J Fuchs L & Prodanovic D 'Gluing Routines for Matching Standard GIS Packages with Simulation and Design Models for Water Projects', Remote Sensing and GIS in Urban Waters, UDT 94, Moscow, Russia Sept. 12-16 1994
· Blagojevic B, Elgy J, Chen Z & Maksimovic C 'Airborne Videography as a Data Source for an Urban Drainage Model', Remote Sensing and GIS in Urban Waters, UDT 94, Moscow, Russia Sept. 12-16 1994
· Charnock TW, Elgy J, and Hedges PD 'Application of GIS Linked Environmental Models over a Large Area', Proc. Third International Conference/ Workshop on Integrating Geographical Information Systems and Environmental Modelling, Jan 21-25 1996, http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/conf/santa_fe
· Fedra_K, Pemberton_R, Elgy_J, Mannis_A (1996) Air quality management: An effects-based approach - (development of a sophisticated environmental management technique based upon the integration of air quality modelling within a GIS/DSS framework); Proceedings of the International Conference on Development and Application of Computer Techniques to Environmental Studies, Computational Mechanics Publ, Southampton, England,1996, pp.637-648
· Charnock TW, Hedges PD and Elgy J (1996) ‘Linking Multiple Process models and GIS’, in Application of Geographic Information Systems in Hydrology and Water Resources Management edited by Kovar K and H.P. Nachtnebel 1996 (ISBN 0-947571-84-1) and keynote lecture at HydroGIS 96, Vienna, Austria.
· Hedges PD, Ellis RJ and Elgy J (1996)‘Airborne Remote Sensing as a tool for Monitoring Landfill Sites Within an Urban Environment’, Sampling Environmental Media, ASTM STP 1282, James Howard Morgan, Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, 1996.
· Blagojevic, B., Maksimovic, C. & Elgy, J. (1998) The Use of Airborne Videography for Simulation of Urban Drainage Runoff, BHS International Conference, Hydrology in a Changing Environment, Exeter UK, July 5-10 1998.
· Elgy, J. Buchanan, A.& Gregory S.(1998) Airborne Remote Sensing for Urban Waters, UDM ’98 Developments in Urban Drainage Modelling, Imperial College, London, UK, 21-24 Sept 1998, pp. 461-474.
Browser does not support script.