Last year the University spent £3.5 million pounds on energy, which emitted around 7,600 tonnes of CO2e into the atmosphere.
We have a target to reduce our carbon emissions by 48% in 2020, compared to what we used in 2005/6. Although we've reduced by 38%, we've still got a way to go and we need help from all staff and students to help us achieve this:
- Please switch off lights in unoccupied rooms or if it’s sunny outside.
- Switch off electrical equipment when it’s not needed. Don’t be tempted to leave things in standby mode!
- Switch your PC off fully (at the plug) when leaving work.
- Layer up and turn down radiator valves when the heating is on.
- Get fit and take the stairs instead of taking the lift, especially for short journeys. Stair climbing burns more calories than jogging!
- If you have air-conditioning running, ensure you close all doors and windows and that it only turns on after 23oC.
- Don’t be a drip! Ensure you turn off taps fully to reduce wastage.
- There are water dispensers available across campus (please see map below). Free drinking water is also available from Cafe 66 and Tierra Food Court in the Main Building.
- Report all leaks or toilets constantly flushing to the estate helpdesk
- Any suggestions on how we can save energy? Please get in touch.
Aston Student Villages residential emissions
The University sold all of its residential properties in early 2017. On this basis it does not report on any emissions for residential properties.