The Library provides a range of resources and services to support research at Aston as well as working closely with the Research and Knowledge Exchange team.
Open Access Publishing
Make your publications Open Access to:
- Ensure they are eligible for inclusion in the next REF
- Comply with your funder and Aston's requirements
- Increase the discoverability and readership of your research outputs
You can find out further information in the Open Access LibGuide
You should also make sure to read Aston's Open Access Policy and Code of Practice.
Open Research Data
Effective management of research data and use of Open Data is increasingly important to:
- Demonstrate research integrity
- Comply with your funder requirements
- Share your data for re-use
Further information can be found in our Research Data Management LibGuide
Aston Research Repositories
Aston University has repositories for both research publications and research data. Find out which repository you need to use.
Aston Research Explorer and Pure
Aston University uses Pure as its current research information system (CRIS). Pure is the backend system for the public-facing portal Aston Research Explorer, which hosts Aston University’s staff pages and highlights their research.
- To log in to Pure, go to pure.aston.ac.uk and use your university credentials
- For guides and further information on using Pure, visit the RKE website on Pure
Measuring Research Impact
Citation databases are key tools in demonstrating the impact of an individual published paper or of a researcher's body of published work. They can be used to:
- Demonstrate the impact of an article by the number of times it has been cited since it was published (citing references)
- Use the author's references (cited references) to find the research that underpinned his or her work
- Identify influential (highly cited) papers and researchers or research groups
As no single database will contain complete information on who has cited a particular work, it is advisable to use multiple sources.
To find out more please view the Measuring Research Impact LibGuide.
Every year the Library runs a summer series of Research Bites seminars which will provide you with a quick refresher on a single topic or a comprehensive updating of your information and research skills.
Copyright is important because it protects the interests of those who create so you need to take care in referring to others' work to avoid plagiarism or infringements. Please check the guidance in our copyright LibGuide.
If there are books, journal articles or conference papers that you need for your research it may be possible for us to order a copy for you from another library via our Inter-library Loans service
Access to other university libraries
Aston University is a member of the SCONUL Access scheme, which allows postgraduate research students and academic staff tovisit most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland. Some of these libraries may also allow you to borrow or use their printed books and journals.