Research at Aston University is directed by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research, Professor Simon Green and supported by colleagues within our Research and Knowledge Exchange areas, as well as our esteemed Research Committee.
You can link to further information about our Research Strategy and find out more about our best practice in managing and supporting research by following the links below:
- Research Integrity - Aston University is signed up to the Concordat on Research Integrity by virtue of its membership of UUK. In support of the commitments outlined in the concordat, we have a Research Integrity Code of Conduct and a Code of Practice for Dealing with Allegations of Research Misconduct. To find out more about these policies and our commitment to research integrity (including our annual statement on research integrity) please click here.
- Legislation and Regulation - Aston promotes best practice in health-related research. We are licenced to perform research under the Human Tissue Act. Aston endorses the NC3Rs’ ARRIVE Guidelines and is actively involved in promoting the use of Animals in Science.
We’re committed to the highest standards of research integrity and compliance with the Universities UK concordat to support research integrity.
The Concordat has five main commitments:
- Commitment to maintaining the highest standards of rigour and integrity in all aspects of research.
- Commitment to ensuring that research is conducted according to appropriate ethical, legal and professional frameworks, obligations and standards.
- Commitment to supporting a research environment that is underpinned by a culture of integrity and based on good governance, best practice and support for the development of researchers.
- Commitment to using transparent, robust and fair processes to deal with allegations of misconduct should they arise.
- Commitment to working together to strengthen the integrity of research and reviewing progress regularly and openly.
All Research undertaken is completed in accordance with our Research Integrity Code of Conduct:
- Prescribes standards of work performance and conduct expected by all staff and students engaged in research at the University
- Nurtures a research environment that supports research of the highest standards of rigour and integrity
- Uses transparent, robust and fair processes to handle allegations of misconduct
- Uses a continuous improvement process to monitor, and where necessary improve, the suitability and appropriateness of the mechanisms in place to provide assurances over the integrity of research
The code and concordat apply to all fields of research and recognise the different responsibilities of: researchers; the University as their employer; and other bodies involved in the research process in each of its commitments.
Policies underpinning the Research Integrity Code of Conduct:
Annual Research Integrity Statements:
For any enquiries in relation to Research Integrity at Aston University, please contact:
Prof James Wolffsohn
Associate Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research Integrity