Our specialist Masters of Research (MRes) Bioscience course has been designed specifically for students who wish to develop their skills as a scientific researcher. During this year long course, you’ll receive extensive training and spend a large proportion of your time conducting research in the laboratory, honing your skills to prepare you for a future career as a bioscience researcher.
Throughout your time at Aston, you will gain a high level of specialist knowledge in your chosen field of interest. The main focus of the programme is an extended research project, which takes up much of the year, here you will gain direct experience of working within the collaborative environment of a modern biosciences research laboratory alongside research active staff from a range of specialist bioscience fields. For a full list of extended research projects available for 2020 entry please visit our project page.
In addition to the 120 credit extended research project, you will also study a series of 15 credit modules that will assist in the development of essential skills for planning, implementing and communicating research.
- Essential Laboratory Skills
- Professional Development and Research Communication Skills
- Research Competency Assessment
- Postgraduate Research Skills
- Research Project
Assessment on the course will be through a combination of class tests, individual and group coursework, projects, presentations and practical assessments.
On successful completion of the MRes course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of the scientific and technological principles underlying your chosen research specialisation.
- Formulate and test hypotheses by planning, conducting and reporting a significant programme of biosciences research.
- Undertake scientific investigations in a responsible and safe manner, paying attention to risk assessment, relevant health and safety regulations with an appreciation of the ethical, legal and regulatory aspects of biosciences research.
- Record and analyse data through the application of statistics and determine their importance and validity.
- Communicate scientific information accurately and effectively to other academics, researchers and students.
- Prepare competitive job applications for academic and industry-based careers within the biosciences.