Turn your talent for languages into serious future employment prospects.
Acquire near-native linguistic fluency and the high-level political, social and cultural insights that make Aston’s students stand out.
Spend a year abroad on a study, or work placement and return equipped with the experience, resilience and emotional intelligence needed to flourish in the world of work.
Whether you are coming to us post-A-level or picking up a new language from beginner’s (or ab initio) level, a BSc joint honours degree in Modern Languages at Aston offers something quite different:
- A GOLD standard ranking in the Teaching Excellence Framework;
- World-leading academics with cutting-edge research and teaching experience on French, German, Spanish and Mandarin-speaking regions of the world (from Beijing to Brussels to Berlin to Bogotá);
- Teaching almost exclusively in your chosen language(s) to work quickly towards the kind of fluency and adaptability that employers value;
- Innovative assessment techniques tasks based on real-world professional scenarios;
- A small and friendly department where you’ll be at the heart of a supportive academic community.
What jobs can I get with a languages degree?
Our recent graduates are often our best ambassadors, with former Aston students now working at companies such as Bloomberg LP, Deutsche Bank and Apple, as well as for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and in schools, colleges and universities across the UK and overseas.
Key benefits of the Aston Modern Languages Joint Honours BSc:
Aston students are happy:
Modern Languages at Aston are ranked 5th for Teaching Satisfaction (Guardian, 2020)
We’re #1 for Added Value:
Comparing our students’ entry grades (A Levels/BTECS/IB etc) with their final degree shows the quality of our teaching: We’re ranked 1st in the UK by this measure (Guardian, 2020)
We’ll help you achieve your best:
84% of Aston students achieve first or 2:1 degrees, ranking us 20th in the UK (CUG, 2020)
We’ll make sure you’re career-ready:
Employed Aston languages graduates are ranked 12th in the UK for earnings one year after graduation (Longitudinal Educational Outcomes, 2018).