The course aims to allow graduates with an interest in audiology and related fields e.g. psychology, speech and language therapy etc, to enhance their understanding and practice of adult rehabilitation and research.
As an audiologist or healthcare scientist, studying this course will enhance your clinical practice and research skills in addition to developing your level of specialisation. This will enable you to better assimilate and process academic knowledge to provide complex rehabilitation to adults with hearing needs.
The programme is based on blended-learning to enable it to be conducted while you remain in practice and applying the knowledge you gain from lectures to complete you assignments and case records based on theory and evidence-based practice.
The number of taught elements taken at any time is flexible:
- MSc. programme requires six taught modules (120 credits) to be undertaken along with a research methods tuition and written research dissertation (60 credits total) (all within 5-6 years)
- DHearing Therapy requires nine taught modules (180 credits) plus a full practice-based research project (all within 6-7 years)
- Research Methods is a core module for MSc. and doctorate students.
Taught modules are available once per year, with start dates 1st October, and are either 15 or 30 credits each (nominally equivalent to 150-300 hours of student learning). All modules (excluding Hearing Therapy Counselling and Communication Skills) consist of remote access lectures with online tests for feedback and a module coursework assignment, such as an essay related to the module.
- Hearing Therapy Counselling and Communication Skills: this module is taught on campus face to face over five days in a block of three days (October) and two days (January)
- Tinnitus Management
- Adult Rehabilitation
- Health Behaviours
- Evidence Based Practice
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Research Methods
- Research Proposal
- MSc research project
You are able to use gain credit for this course within the Aston Flexible Credit Accumulation Framework and continued professional development. This module provides a flexible route if you wish to expand your knowledge and skills by studying one or more modules whilst also managing their working commitments. It also offers a taster of studying at this level without committing to a whole programme.