What is a Pre-sessional English Course and is it suitable for me?
It is a series of short courses which helps you to improve your English and learn essential academic skills before starting your course at Aston University. If you are an international student with an offer to study with us, this course is designed especially for you.
Whatever your level of English, we have a course that’s right for you. If you already have a strong level of English, we offer a 5-week course. We also offer 9-, 18- or 28-week courses if you need more help to improve your English.
Why should I take a Pre-sessional English course?
- Be more prepared for your university course
- Meet the English language requirements of your degree
- Gain more confidence in using English
- Learn essential academic skills for your degree, such as research skills and presentation skills
- Adapt to living and studying in the UK
- Get your own university mentor
- Enjoy our social and networking events, and make new friends
- Take advantage of opportunities to visit places of interest in the UK and Birmingham
- Access our campus facilities (Library, Sports Centre, Restaurants, Computer Centres & Support Services).
On completion of this course you will be awarded a module certificate from Aston University. Our Pre-sessional programme is accredited by BALEAP, an organisation specialising in English for Academic Purposes.
What will I learn?
- General, academic and subject-specific vocabulary in English
- Academic writing skills
- Research skills
- How to read academic texts
- How to understand academic lectures and take notes
- How to express your ideas and opinions in class discussions
- Presentation skills
- Pronunciation of English
- English grammar
- Intercultural communication skills