By successfully completing this programme, you'll be awarded an MSc in Engineering Leadership and Management and may receive a level 7 certificate in Leadership and Management from the ILM. On completion of an external end point assessment you will also achieve a level 7 apprenticeship certificate that is graded at pass, merit or distinction.
Presently there are two entry points: October and January.
Duration of programme
The duration of the apprenticeship is two and a half years.
Apprentices do not have to pay for tuition fees*. The total fee of £18,000 will be met by the UK government and your employer. In addition to your fees being paid, you will also earn a salary while you study, so there is no need to apply for Student Finance.
* Employers may require students to pay the fees for resits.
If your organisation doesn't pay the apprenticeship levy or you are a self-funded candidate, you can still study this course as a masters programme. Find out more information.
For direct enrolment onto this programme, you will need one* of the following:
- A good UK honours degree, or
- An equivalent overseas degree recognised by Aston University, or
- A degree-level professional qualification.
- At least five years’ relevant post-graduation work experience by the time you start your programme
- An official academic transcript of your grades (in English)
- Two references – preferably one from an academic referee, the other from your current employer (Two professional references may be accepted from applicants with substantial work experience).
You will also need to meet the government's eligibility criteria:
- Have been a UK/EU/EAA resident for the past three years or more prior to starting the course
- Have left full time education when the apprenticeship you are applying for is due to start
- Be aged at least 16 years old to meet government funding criteria.
*Applicants with extensive work experience
We accept applications from candidates with extensive work experience who have not completed a graduate qualification.
We take a holistic approach in evaluating applications. If you would like to get a better idea before applying, you are welcome to contact us for an informal discussion.