Student loans

There are two types of student loan to help you cover the costs of university: your tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. You pay these loans back when you finish your course and earn over £25,000 per year.

Tuition fee loan

Who can get this loan? Undergraduate students from the UK or EU.

How much am I entitled to? Any amount up to the maximum, which equals the cost of fees per year.

Tuition fee loans are paid directly to your university or college by the Government.

Maintenance loan

Who can get this loan? Undergraduate students from the UK.

How much am I entitled to? The loan is dependent on household income. The maximum loan you can receive is £8,200 per year.

Maintenance loans are available to full-time students to help pay for living costs such as food, travel and accommodation.


Information on how much you repay can be found here.

Apply for a student finance 

How much will it cost?

How much will it cost?