What to bring to University? Some things are more obvious than others. It’s best to start with what is already included as part of your accommodation.
What's included in campus accommodation
- Fridges and freezers
- Ovens and hobs
- Kettles or water boilers
- Tables and chairs
- Waste and recycling bins
In your bedroom:
- A shower
- A mirror
- A bed and mattress
- Desk and chair
- Desk lighting
What to pack
- Crockery and cutlery
- Saucepans and a frying pan
- Kitchen utensils such as a cheese grater and a tin opener
- Tea towels, oven gloves and a dish cloth
- Toilet roll
- A mattress cover, bed linen and pillows
- A laundry basket or bag
- Coat hangers
What not to pack
- Large items or lots of stuff - storage space is limited so don’t bring large TV’s or your own furniture
- Candles, burners and fairy lights - don’t bring anything that could be a fire hazard, e.g. a chip pan or portable heaters
- Passport and Visa
Also pack copies of your CAS (Tier 4 visa holders) and your financial evidence in case you need to show these at the border.
- Varieties of clothing
The weather in Birmingham is unpredictable, even in summer. Bring some layers of lightweight clothing, as days can start off cool and get warmer. Most importantly - make sure to include a waterproof jacket.
- Adaptor plugs
The standard electricity supply in the UK is 230V and the standard outlet is a 3 pin plug. Electrical appliances are relatively cheap in the UK, so don’t worry if you don’t have enough room in your bag.
- Medical / Optical Prescriptions
If you’re receiving medical care, speak to your doctor before you leave home to get information to pass onto your new doctor in the UK. If you wear glasses, bring a copy of your prescription in case you need to get new glasses or contact lenses while you are here.
No need to pack:
- Your entire wardrobe – you can buy any clothes you need in the UK
- Kitchen equipment – this will take up lots of space in your luggage and is cheap to buy here – you can even buy specialist items like rice cookers
See this leaflet from the Border Force for information about what you can and cannot bring to the UK.
Buying items required for your course
If you are required to purchase certain items for your course, such as a Lab Coat, please visit the Aston Store.