Economics, Finance and Entrepreneurship
Position: Senior Teaching Fellow
Phone: 01212045292 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Room Number: South Wing Room 910
Dr Dean Garratt is a senior teaching fellow at Aston Business School. He joined Aston University in September 2018 having previously been a Principal Lecturer at Nottingham Business School (NBS). Dean teaches economics at a variety of levels, including modules in macroeconomics and economics for non-specialists. He is passionate about encouraging students to communicate economics more intuitively, to deepen their interest in economics and to apply economics to a range of issues. Dean is a co-author of 3 leading and influential undergraduate economics texts: Economics, Essentials of Economics and Economics for Business.
Earlier in his career Dean worked as an economic assistant at both HM Treasury and at the Council of Mortgage Lenders. While at these institutions he was researching and briefing on a variety of issues relating to the household sector and to the housing and mortgage markets. Dean is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and an Associate of the Economics Network which aims to promote high-quality teaching practice. He has been involved in several projects promoting a problem-based learning (PBL) approach in the teaching of economics. In 2006, Dean was awarded the Outstanding Teaching Prize by the Economics Network. The award recognises exemplary teaching practice that deepens and inspires interest in economics. In 2013, he won the student-nominated Nottingham Business School teacher of the year award. Dean is an academic assessor for the Government Economic Service (GES) helping to assess candidates at Economic Assessment Centres (EACs). In this role he assesses candidates looking to join the GES, the UK’s largest employer of professional economists.
Dean runs sessions on HM Treasury’s Graduate Development Programme (GDP). These sessions cover principles in policy making, applying economics principles and ideas to analyse policy issues and contemporary developments in macroeconomics. Outside of work, Dean is an avid watcher of many sports. Having been born in Leicester, he is a season ticket holder at both Leicester City Football Club and Leicestershire County Cricket Club.
- BA (Hons) Economics (University of Leicester, July 1990)
- MA Economics of Public Policy (University of Leicester, July 1991)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Economics) (University of Leicester, July 1996)
- PGCHE (Nottingham Trent University, October 2002)
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (March 2014)
- Senior Teaching Fellow, Aston University, September 2018- present
- Principal Lecturer in Economics, Nottingham Business School September 2015-August 2018
- Principal Teaching Fellow, University of Warwick, September 2014-August 2015
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Economics, September 2001-August 2014
- Nottingham Trent University September 1998-August 2001
- Assistant Economists HM Treasury (including secondment to Council of Mortgage Lenders) September 1995-August 1998
- Lecturer in Economics, University of Leicester September 1991-August 1995
- Research Assistant, Public Sector Economics Research Centre, University of Leicester
- Economics for Business (Level 4)
- Macroeconomic Theory (Level 5)
- Principles of Macroeconomics (Level 6)
- Economics for Business (Level 7)
Alongside work on 3 leading Economics textbooks, Dean's primary research interest is in the economics of the residential property market. He is especially interested in issues surrounding the affordability of owner-occupied housing. His other research interests are in the areas of public expenditure growth, political business cycles, household debt and the determination of household spending.
Dean is on the supervisory team of Farzad Javidanrad at Nottingham Business School having previously been his Director of Studies prior to joining Aston. Farzad is working in the area of financialisation adopting a new Keynesian framework. He is due to complete in 2020.
- Associate of the Economics Network
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Co-author with John Sloman and Jon Guest of Economics (10th Edition)
- Co-author with John Sloman and Alison Wride of Economics (8th and 9th Editions
- Co-author with John Sloman of Essentials of Economics (5th, 6thm 7th and 8th Editions)
- Co-author with John Sloman and Kevin Hinde of Economics for Business (5th and 6th Editions)
- Co-author with John Sloman, Jon Guest and Elizabeth Jones of Economics for Business (7th Edition)